Doing the dishes:
- Start when the pile of dirty dishes looks like about enough to fill the dishwasher.
- Take the clean dishes out of the dishwasher and put them away.
- If any of the supposedly clean dishes are not clean, scrub them and/or put them with the dirty dishes to be washed again.
- Take the clean dishes out of the dish rack and put them away.
- Put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher. When you come across a dirty dish that shouldn’t go in the dishwasher, put it in the hand-wash area.
- Generally start in the back and to the left of the dishwasher, putting the dirty dishes in their usual areas of the dishwasher. If you run out of space for things in their usual area, either find room somewhere else in the dishwasher or leave those things out to go in the next dishwasher load.
- When the dishwasher is full, add detergent and close it.
- Run the disposal.
- Wash the hand-wash dishes, if any, and put them in the dish rack to dry.
- Clean the counters.
- Clean the stovetop if needed.
- Start the dishwasher.
- When the dishwasher is done running, open it and dump out any water that’s standing on the dishes so they can dry more easily.
(following the suggestion in this post)