Recent Active Topics

(Get notified of new comments with the Comments RSS Feed. You can also use website change notification software or an auto refresh browser plugin.)

Post & comment count Date Author Title or First Words
What To Read (76) 2019/11/13 curi *This Perfect Day* is good. Dystopian novel kinda like Anthem, 1984, Brave New World.
Open Discussion 2 (2019) (9) 2019/11/13 curi 1st newsletter: Sept 18, 2016. 100th newsletter: Nov 13, 2019. That's 1151 days. One newsletter per 11.5 days. I think the minimum time between newsletters has been 7 days. The max is probably around 21, maybe a few more. I've been consistent
Social Metaphysics (41) 2019/11/12 Augustine A hero's journey
Critical Rationalism Epistemology Explanations (41) 2019/11/12 curi #14299 I tried speaking to that guy. He doesn't want to discuss. https://twitter.com/curi42/status/1193355932937244673 Is there a reason you think that post is important or some specific ideas in it that you want comments on?
Productive Global Warming Discussion (35) 2019/11/11 Anonymous #14291 The position being, climate change models are not unreliable. And Yes.
Discussion Trees With Example (42) 2019/11/10 curi GraphViz doesn't support automatic wordwrap. I forgot about that but it basically makes it unusable for me for large trees where I write a whole paragraph in some nodes. I tried xmind (like omni you can import from a markdown list and lose formatti
curi's Progress (51) 2019/11/09 curi Summary
Praise for Yes or No Philosophy (16) 2019/11/09 Andy Dufresne Bible Yes or No
Morality (11) 2019/11/09 The Rat #14257 Thanks, Howard. I think rule-consequentialism does have principles (rules) that are evaluated based on their consequences. Rule-consequentialism claims that an act is permissible if and only if it is allowed by a code that could reasonab
Discussions Should Use Sources (3) 2019/11/09 N Typo detected
Open Discussion (2019) (627) 2019/11/08 curi #14238 You or anyone else can reach out to Destiny. You can post to his reddit and say who I am and why he should debate me. Good luck. I'll talk with him if he wants to. > he seems like he's really interested in truth-seeking and debate I don't
Introductory Questions (5) 2019/11/08 Learning Marx What is Marx’s view of alienation? Do you agree with some, or none of it?
Rand on Nurture (27) 2019/11/08 Anonymous There is evidence that the neural cytoskeleton plays a computational role in our brain. For example, that it is involved in the formation of memories. And the cytoskeleton does look like an amazing and super-fast molecular computer - check out videos
The Most Important Improvement to Popperian Philosophy of Science (5) 2019/11/07 Anonymous FoR: > But experimental testing is by no means the only process involved in the growth of scientific knowledge. The overwhelming majority of theories are rejected because they contain bad explanations, not because they fail experimental tests. We r
Claiming You Objectively Won A Debate (9) 2019/11/06 curi #14200 It comes up because people say e.g.: Earn your way in and then things will be great. Get a PhD, get hired by Harvard, write a book that sells a ton of copies, do whatever it takes to get access, and then you'll get rational conversations, you'l
Fallibilism (4) 2019/11/06 curi #14173 Most possible ideas are mistakes. We learn by an evolutionary process which creates variants of existing ideas (most changes are mistakes, on average, statistically) and does error correction. There is no way to create just the non-mistaken
Tracking Discussions (4) 2019/11/06 curi #14182 Yes I would.
Politics Discussion (104) 2019/11/05 Anonymous https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/2019/10/anatomy-lynching-david-horowitz/ > According to the *Washington Post*, for example, police shootings make up 12% of all white and Hispanic homicide deaths, which is three times the proportion of black deaths
Apple Announcements Commentary (5) 2019/11/05 Anonymous Catalina Update Sucks
Some of Richard Feynman's Wonderfulness (9) 2019/11/04 Anne B why ashamed?
Alisa Discussion (70) 2019/11/03 Alisa Broken link
Explaining Liberalism in Discussion (5) 2019/11/03 Anonymous There is a biography of Mises titled *Mises: The Last Knight of Liberalism* https://mises.org/library/mises-last-knight-liberalism-0
Rationally Resolving Conflicts of Ideas (168) 2019/11/02 curi I have not read or replied to #13382 I am caught up on the rest. Documenting this for if/when kieren comes back.
Objectivist and Popperian Epistemology (18) 2019/11/02 curi One of the major shared themes of Oism and CR is they're both really anti intellectual authority.
Rational Discussion Tips (44) 2019/11/01 curi #14097 Think they'll want to publish this, for example? (Given the addition of a 300 word abstract and adding end note citations in the format they demanded.) http://curi.us/1965-by-any-means-necessary-a-violent-marxist-cult

Recent Individual Comments

Title or First Words Author Post Date
*This Perfect Day* is good. Dystopian novel kinda like Anthem, 1984, Brave New World. curi What To Read 2019/11/13
1st newsletter: Sept 18, 2016. 100th newsletter: Nov 13, 2019. That's 1151 days. One newsletter per 11.5 days. I think the minimum time between newsletters has been 7 days. The max is probably around 21, maybe a few more. I've been consistent curi Open Discussion 2 (2019) 2019/11/13
A hero's journey Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/12
Interpretation isn't arbitrary. The question isn't how did Joe interpret it. The question is how *should* it be interpreted? What does it actually mean? What interpretation is reasonable or rational? E.g. suppose Joe interpreted the song as saying curi Social Metaphysics 2019/11/12
#14299 I tried speaking to that guy. He doesn't want to discuss. https://twitter.com/curi42/status/1193355932937244673 Is there a reason you think that post is important or some specific ideas in it that you want comments on? curi Critical Rationalism Epistemology Explanations 2019/11/12
Requesting criticism of this: https://medium.com/@clovisroussy/why-bayesianism-fails-8544eefa2bef (not mine) Anonymous Critical Rationalism Epistemology Explanations 2019/11/12
> This is similar to our discussion about interests. I think there is an objective truth of the matter which can be analyzed in unbiased discussion. I think perspectives and interpretations can be compared and criticized, and a conclusion reached rati Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/12
#14295 This is similar to our discussion about interests. I think there is an objective truth of the matter which can be analyzed in unbiased discussion. I think perspectives and interpretations can be compared and criticized, and a conclusion reached curi Social Metaphysics 2019/11/12
> I think if you had the context of the movie too you might see it closer to my POV, maybe not. Re context: I think that both the movie & the lyrics are as curi describe the lyrics. It is conformity in both. Have you read *The Fountainhead*? I'm N Social Metaphysics 2019/11/11
I feel like you're asking me to falsify something that is not falsifiable. In this case your interpretation to the lyrics of a song, stripped of its context. Songs mean different things to different people. I think if you had the context of the Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/11
#14293 Do you have any argument that my view of the lyrics is false? I gave some explanation of why it's correct. You haven't argued with my text about the lyrics nor changed your mind. I think the next step is for that to happen. curi Social Metaphysics 2019/11/11
#14289 Great! But now what? I don't think this changes anything at all about my argument. Where do we go from here? Also btw, my interpretation of the lyrics is closer to what actually happened in the movie than your interpretation. Idk if that he Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/11
#14291 The position being, climate change models are not unreliable. And Yes. Anonymous Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/11
The video links to this article which is supposed to have the same content as the video: https://askepticalhuman.com/science/2019/3/16/debunking-climate-change-model-predictions-are-unreliable So if this article is refuted would the OP concede t oh my god it's turpentine Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/11
#14286 So not only is that a no, but instead of picking any single source you want a reply to, you're actually flooding us with a bunch of sources and if we refute any particular source we can't really expect that to change your mind. A standard thing Anonymous Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/11
#14280 OK great, the song comments give me the info I was looking for. We have a big disagreement / different perspective about the song. Also I think we should focus on one thing at a time more. I think you interpret the song as they want to ac curi Social Metaphysics 2019/11/11
#14285 >Why would being friendly give out red flags, I said that being skilled at small talk should raise red flags. (I state some reasons that small talk is bad below.) Why did you imply that I said something much broader than what I had said? Kate Social Metaphysics 2019/11/11
Social Rules that Demand Less Clarity Andy Dufresne Social Metaphysics 2019/11/11
#14276 Even better. That video has multiple sources and quotes shown in writing within that video. Anonymous Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/11
Bit confusing. Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/11
> Starting a sentence with someone’s name adds a touch of condescension. ...in a context such as this one where you are already directly talking to the person. Writing from a third-person perspective, which could involve you stating your vie Kate Social Metaphysics 2019/11/11
#14280 > I think people underestimate things like "small talk" as socially useless, but I disagree. *Do* people think that small talk is socially useless? I wouldn’t have thought that. It’s in the social realm that small talk serves a purpos Kate Social Metaphysics 2019/11/11
#14281 Blockquotes here apply until the next linebreak. That editor's preview applies blockquotes until the next blank line (two linebreaks in a row). Anonymous Social Metaphysics 2019/11/10
Formatting got messed up Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/10
[#14274](http://curi.us/2236-social-metaphysics#14274) > You're mixing social-only and functional issues. This makes discussion positions less clear. Mumbling means it's hard to hear the words being said. Staring at the floor can mean not pointing yo Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/10
GraphViz doesn't support automatic wordwrap. I forgot about that but it basically makes it unusable for me for large trees where I write a whole paragraph in some nodes. I tried xmind (like omni you can import from a markdown list and lose formatti curi Discussion Trees With Example 2019/11/10
After testing, I cannot recommend OmniGraffle unless you just want to do trees in that app and export as images or PDFs. If you want to e.g. write an outline in a markdown file then get it imported, or export a tree back to markdown, then stay away curi Discussion Trees With Example 2019/11/10
I've made a tree of part of the discussion. Any objections or additions, Augustine? [image] curi Social Metaphysics 2019/11/10
#14272 Got something in writing? Anonymous Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/10
Reaching a larger audience using charisma has downsides. Reaching lower quality people makes it harder to interact productively with your audience. It makes it Q&As harder, forums harder, debating anyone interested harder, etc. It also reduces the qua Howard Roark Social Metaphysics 2019/11/10
> mumble through a speech while staring at the floor You're mixing social-only and functional issues. This makes discussion positions less clear. Mumbling means it's hard to hear the words being said. Staring at the floor can mean not pointing your Anonymous Social Metaphysics 2019/11/10
> Many people might not give someone the time of day if he presents his idea without any confidence. Some people might think, "if he doesn't beleive in his own idea, why would I give him the time of day." Does this imply first looking at social ski N Social Metaphysics 2019/11/10
Debunking: "Climate Change Model Predictions Are Unreliable!" Anonymous Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/10
>A said: >> What I am arguing for is that I think it is important to learn that charisma, at least well enough to give your ideas a good chance of being heard. >If P is true. What extra people would it help persuade of it being true if it was Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/09
A said: > What I am arguing for is that I think it is important to learn that charisma, at least well enough to give your ideas a good chance of being heard. If P is true. What extra people would it help persuade of it being true if it was presen N Social Metaphysics 2019/11/09
Summary curi curi's Progress 2019/11/09
> What social rule demands points to be made less clear? They mostly don't have names. An example is you're often supposed to say "I think" or some other hedge. I don't want to discuss an example of that first because it's too subtle and complicate curi Social Metaphysics 2019/11/09
> Social rules, for both writing and speaking, demand making certain points less clear. What social rule demands points to be made less clear? > And you shouldn't be focusing on what is theoretically possible, you should focus on what's realis Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/09
> Before I attempt it, could you tell me why you brought it up? I said why I brought it up: > One of the ways to start learning this [...] is to consider something less subtle than JBP. --- > I think this can be said of writing too. I th curi Social Metaphysics 2019/11/09
Side note but related: I agree that there are people who are not interested in presenting true arguments but only interested in manipulation. That is not something I am arguing against. I am arguing that knowing that many if not *most* people judg Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/09
BTW I think this topic is really important, it's one of the larger things affecting what the world is like. And almost no one will even try to talk about it. And when they do, mostly they lie – most people think something similar to Augustine but wo curi Social Metaphysics 2019/11/09
> Do you agree that certain skills such as learning to ride a bike or learning to drive, *could* be improved indefinitely but *most* people are able to learn to drive just well enough to get them to a destination? Yes. Getting to a destination is n curi Social Metaphysics 2019/11/09
Bible Yes or No Andy Dufresne Praise for Yes or No Philosophy 2019/11/09
Ooops forgot to delete the bottom 1st draft. Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/09
#14247 If you're Justin, just like your big tits example, this is also irrelevant, > It's kinda like: can you talk about FI on YouTube while spinning plates? Is also not relevant to presenting skills. I never said start a performance of an unrel Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/09
> The way he strikes you is based on his *social skill*, **not** his honesty or rationality. Not at all. But debating the merits of Jordan Peterson might be best left for another time. > There are many large clashes between the pursuit of truth Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/09
#14257 Thanks, Howard. I think rule-consequentialism does have principles (rules) that are evaluated based on their consequences. Rule-consequentialism claims that an act is permissible if and only if it is allowed by a code that could reasonab The Rat Morality 2019/11/09
That sort of moral philosophy is stupid. How can you judge principles without considering their consequences? How can you judge consequences without any principles to evaluate or interpret them? It's like, in science, splitting up data/evidence (co Howard Roark Morality 2019/11/09
What are the main similarities and differences between rule-consequentialism and deontology? Which of those 2 do you find to be a stronger argument and how is it different compared to morality based on CR? The Rat Morality 2019/11/09
Typo detected N Discussions Should Use Sources 2019/11/09
#14253 Thanks. I made the changes except the comma after "general". Also for "for other parts" i put a comma before it in addition to after. curi Discussions Should Use Sources 2019/11/08
> Anyway the point of debate/discussion isn’t really to add new ideas to the field. Add a comma after Anyway > And similarly he can help point me at socialist literature that addresses some specific questions I have, because he knows where to Likes proper commas Discussions Should Use Sources 2019/11/08
Telling the Story of Jordan Peterson Anonymous Open Discussion 2 (2019) 2019/11/08
#14250 I think it's 2 because if you flip until 1 heads, the average number of tails is 1. And I think flipping until 2 heads is like doing the 1 heads thing twice in a row, so sum the number of tails from each. Doing it twice will change the distribu Anonymous Open Discussion 2 (2019) 2019/11/08
Math Problem Anonymous Open Discussion 2 (2019) 2019/11/08
Freewrote 1100. curi curi's Progress 2019/11/08
#14246 > (which seems a bit harsh toward Peterson as he doesn't strike me like he's deceitful but mistaken) The way he strikes you is based on his *social skill*, **not** his honesty or rationality. > It seems that you're claiming that it i curi Social Metaphysics 2019/11/08
> It seems that you're claiming that it is impossible to make a statement true *and* present it well. You can present some true idea *well* in terms of stuff that's helpful for truth-seeking. The criteria for that are stuff like stating your ideas Medium J Social Metaphysics 2019/11/08
It seems that you're claiming that it is impossible to make a statement true *and* present it well. Either tell the truth or be a snake oil salesman. (which seems a bit harsh toward Peterson as he doesn't strike me like he's deceitful but mistaken) Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/08
> If what you're saying about Jordan Peterson is true, then it makes my case even stronger. If he is as bad and incompetent as you claim he is, and has reached millions of people. It goes to show how important presentation skills are. It depends on curi Social Metaphysics 2019/11/08
Error correction: "and If more peopled adopted view P..." Should be: "and if more people adopted view P, the world would be a better place, then it makes sense to give P a better chance of being adopted by learning presenting skills." Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/08
If what you're saying about Jordan Peterson is true, then it makes my case even stronger. If he is as bad and incompetent as you claim he is, and has reached millions of people. It goes to show how important presentation skills are. I go back to m Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/08
Jordan Peterson is an incompetent liar and fraud re scientific issues because he's focused on social instead of truth. His 12 Rules books is full of cites, not because they are intellectually useful or true, but to fool and impress fools. It's hard en curi Social Metaphysics 2019/11/08
#14238 You or anyone else can reach out to Destiny. You can post to his reddit and say who I am and why he should debate me. Good luck. I'll talk with him if he wants to. > he seems like he's really interested in truth-seeking and debate I don't curi Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/08
#14238 I agree that I find the story about the vod being deleted rather unplausible. The debates he has are streamed live on I think both twitch and Youtube. With such a large audience I think he would not risk deleting a vod where he performed poorly The Lil lion Augustine Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/08
> And it incorrectly treats fitting in or presenting yourself well or that kinda thing as a fixed bar: do X amount of it and you're done, good enough. It's a competition and you're never done, can never rest, because there are always people competing Augustine Social Metaphysics 2019/11/08
#14235 Why be done trying to reach out to destiny himself? He and many of his audience members have relatively similar ethical and economic beliefs to you, and he seems like he's really interested in truth-seeking and debate. His platform is really bi Anonymous Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/08
@StEmperorAugustine those comments are mixing together multiple issues, e.g. how to get many people in our culture today to treat you certain ways and how to seek the truth. And it incorrectly treats fitting in or presenting yourself well or that k curi Social Metaphysics 2019/11/08
What is Marx’s view of alienation? Do you agree with some, or none of it? Learning Marx Introductory Questions 2019/11/08
#14234 Both. curi Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/08
#14231 > So I'm done. Done with talking to people on his discord or done with trying to reach out to destiny himself? Anonymous Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/08
My debate with potholer54 on YT N Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/08
There is evidence that the neural cytoskeleton plays a computational role in our brain. For example, that it is involved in the formation of memories. And the cytoskeleton does look like an amazing and super-fast molecular computer - check out videos Anonymous Rand on Nurture 2019/11/08
#14221 I talked on Destiny's discord again (and streamed it again) and no one wanted to talk much. So I'm done. Here's an example of a message I wrote which got zero replies: >@Kyouu#3374 >> You haven't argued from any coherent standpoint, al curi Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/07
Wrote 1000 more words on stream re *Judge Ideas Not Social Behaviors*. Streamed 3 hours. curi curi's Progress 2019/11/07
FoR: > But experimental testing is by no means the only process involved in the growth of scientific knowledge. The overwhelming majority of theories are rejected because they contain bad explanations, not because they fail experimental tests. We r Anonymous The Most Important Improvement to Popperian Philosophy of Science 2019/11/07
#14227 Yeah. Parallel computing! Lots and lots of that. And I think a lot of quick approximations that were created in the past (like how you can run a chess engine with 1 ply search depth and it's still pretty good b/c it has a cheap eval function of Anonymous Rand on Nurture 2019/11/07
> The ideas we think about consciously are built on thousands(?) of layers – they're built up from simpler things. Sounds right. But how do slow neurons handle this? I read that cortical neurons fire about 6 or 7 times a second on average. So, on Anonymous Rand on Nurture 2019/11/07
#14225 It looks like drilling and re-sealing are the main steps that are harder (but I don't know *how much harder*) when a satellite hasn't been designed for re-fueling. According to Brent Robertson, NASA’s project manager for the mission (from Alisa Open Discussion 2 (2019) 2019/11/07
#14224 How much harder is it to do that compared with refueling a satellite that has a built in refueling mechanism? Anonymous Open Discussion 2 (2019) 2019/11/07
NASA to send robot into space to re-fuel satellite Alisa Open Discussion 2 (2019) 2019/11/07
Wrote 2000: https://curi.us/2235-discussions-should-use-sources Streamed over 4 hours last night. Going to stream more today and talk on Destiny's discord again because it has some people willing to discuss. However during the stream I heard lots o curi curi's Progress 2019/11/07
> Malthusian prophets of doom seem to be winning that fight sadly. They even made this the theme in the Thanos arc in Avengers. Likely wanted to portrait him a sympathetic villain too. At least that is the impression I have gotten from speaking to N Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/07
#14214 OK so I started streaming while chatting with Destiny's discord and looking at his reddit. First an Objectivist ("Existence Exists") comes in my YouTube chat and says he got banned from Destiny's discord for making fun of Europe's lenient immig curi Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/06
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Life > "Three days after his GSL semifinals, Life competed in the Iron Squid – Chapter II Korean qualifier, where he made his way to the finals at the expense of Sting, Polt and HyuN, but had to all-ined his game Anonymous Open Discussion 2 (2019) 2019/11/06
https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/dsp9n7/china_to_implement_new_regulation_regarding/ > China to implement new regulation regarding gaming, will "ban users younger than 18 from playing games between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. They are Anonymous Open Discussion 2 (2019) 2019/11/06
Wrote 1050 re rational discussion. Made 3 YT vids last night. Looked into Destiny (streamer) a bit today. He looks kinda OK maybe. A commenter advised he's open to debate on topics like capitalism (i'm told he's center left but not hard left). H curi curi's Progress 2019/11/06
#14216 No Anonymous Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/06
is TulipQulqu Destiny? Augustine Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/06
Blatant thinking in terms of intellectual authorities (also low standards), from Destiny's discord: [image] Anonymous Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/06
#14192 I'd guess the best way to get his attention would be to make a post on his subreddit describing who you are and what you wanted to talk about. If the post gets upvoted he'll probably see it himself, and even if he doesn't some people might Anonymous Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/06
I'll check out what he has to say. I also think nuclear is our current best solution. I believe it has the lowest number of deaths per kwh of all time, iirc. And like anyone who follows DD probably agrees, even if climate change really is a pro Andy Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
#14211 I don't think Epstein has a key methodological insight that isn't available elsewhere. But he's an Objectivist philosopher and many others in the field don't know philosophy, so he has a big advantage because he knows some stuff about rational curi Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
I don't know enough about this subject. I was just curious to know what methodology Epstein employs that you find more convincing than the mainstream climate consensus. I suspect if I were to link papers that claim there is such a thing as man-mad Andy Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
I have an understanding of the state of the debate, and discussion tree, re environmentalism. It's not my focus but I discuss or debate it sometimes and explain some of my views in e.g. https://curi.us/podcast/environmentalism If there's a specifi curi Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
Well the person in the conversation (StAugustine) is asking the question. I am pointing out that curi did not answer that question. Which seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to point out. Do you agree? I don't understand how it is irrelevan Andy Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
#14206 Watched 30s. I think I got the basic idea. An article would be better but the doc on screen helped. The trait that morally differentiates humans from animals is being universal knowledge creators. FYI universality is in David Deutsch's bo curi Morality 2019/11/06
Of course it doesn't answer that question. It doesn't claim to. What is confusing about the message? You're accusing it of doing what it says it's doing, but not doing what it doesn't say it's doing. You seem to be trying to argue a basic point tha Anonymous Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
What is the trait? Considering Veganism Morality 2019/11/06
knows Epstein is not* Anonymous Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
My point is that curi did not answer how *he* knows Epstein is propaganda. He said how one ought to go find out what is right via making a discussion tree. When he says, > how to tell what's right, in short you make a discussion tree and look at wh Andy Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
#14202 What's your point? Anonymous Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
> StEmperorAugustine: but anyway, how do you know that Alex Epstein is not the propaganda? > curi: re how to tell what's right, in short you make a discussion tree and look at what arguments and questions have not been answered. https://curi.us/2 Andy Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
#14200 It comes up because people say e.g.: Earn your way in and then things will be great. Get a PhD, get hired by Harvard, write a book that sells a ton of copies, do whatever it takes to get access, and then you'll get rational conversations, you'l curi Claiming You Objectively Won A Debate 2019/11/06
I don't know. Maybe they have great rational discussions among themselves and never make it public. Or there are people who do have great rational discussions but I have not come across them. TheRat Claiming You Objectively Won A Debate 2019/11/06
#14198 Are they actually better? Do they (or some particular groups or types of them) have lots of great, rational discussions amongst themselves? curi Claiming You Objectively Won A Debate 2019/11/06
I think that claim is true -that they have little public access. AFAIK very few public intellectuals are willing to have debates in the manner you make yourself available. And the non-public intellectuals, academic types, only discuss among themse TheRat Claiming You Objectively Won A Debate 2019/11/06
#14196 That (using links to good work) would involve the people you're talking to responding in a rational way. The claim I'm interested in is: only a few people are rational and there's little public access to discuss with them (because they're bu curi Claiming You Objectively Won A Debate 2019/11/06
I suppose it is plausible that my sample is biased. I asked people in various subreddit though mainly from /r/intellectualdarkweb and some YouTube channels. Maybe these venues attract especially anti-rational types. My counter to that would be TheRat Claiming You Objectively Won A Debate 2019/11/06
#14194 What do you think of this? > A main counter argument ppl make, re state of the world, is that that's just the stupid masses on reddit but 0.1% of ppl are serious intellectuals who are far more rational, debate properly, etc. Do you find t curi Claiming You Objectively Won A Debate 2019/11/06
I do not expect that person to actually come to make his argument here. I've had like 9 people claim that they will and do not think they actually have. I wrote on discord: > I thought maybe what I could do is reach out and encourage people to TheRat Claiming You Objectively Won A Debate 2019/11/06
#14187 Good question. I should have said more about that in my original comment. It's a MathWorld problem. Aside from the MathWorld page authors, I'm not sure who else missed the error; Blichfeldt's Theorem doesn't seem to be very well-known. ([ Alisa Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/06
#14152 Destiny looks reasonably interesting. How would I get his attention? He has 462k twitch followers, a spammy twitch chat, doesn't write much, and has a memey subreddit. He does tons of social when he talks. It's not very clear where to get some curi Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/06
#14173 Most possible ideas are mistakes. We learn by an evolutionary process which creates variants of existing ideas (most changes are mistakes, on average, statistically) and does error correction. There is no way to create just the non-mistaken curi Fallibilism 2019/11/06
https://www.reddit.com/r/IntellectualDarkWeb/comments/drn4rx/by_any_means_necessary_a_violent_marxist_cult/f6pnyyo/ [image] Anonymous Claiming You Objectively Won A Debate 2019/11/06
#14188 I have material about whether animals can suffer (no). Check e.g. the FI archives and my YT videos on 12 rules for life. curi Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/06
Veganism Anonymous Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/06
#14172 Is this a MathWorld problem or a Blichfeldt's Theorem problem? I'm unclear on the extent of the problem, like how many people missed this. Anonymous Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/06
#14182 Yes I would. curi Tracking Discussions 2019/11/06
#14184 https://elliottemple.com/debate-policy curi Morality 2019/11/06
Explanation of Moral Subjectivism Anonymous Morality 2019/11/06
John Adams on speaking your mind (1765) Alisa Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/06
curi, would you ever debate someone on video or do you only do it on your email group or this website. example: https://youtu.be/zf1ugCMK_v8 Anonymous Tracking Discussions 2019/11/06
#14180 > Private email is not a forum either. Here he says that he can debate on any public forum (timestamped): https://youtu.be/GIDN1dQ92_w?t=473 N Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
Private email is not a forum either. idk why anyone suggested this guy as someone to talk with. curi Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
#14178 > I am not going to debate anyone in YT comments. *That's seriously he's preferred forum?* That's sad and unserious. I don't know. After all he did propose doing it by e-mail to Crowder. So I guess we'll see if he is willing to leave YT wh Anonymous Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
#14175 I am not going to debate anyone in YT comments. That's seriously he's preferred forum? That's sad and unserious. > The easiest way to debunk someone is to ask for a source, and check it. So I would ask Epstein how he knows that "'97% Of Clim curi Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
My debate with potholer54 on YT N Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
My debate with potholer54 on YT N Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
#14168 > Sounds like he wants to talk with/about people with reputations in order to social climb. He seems to focus on lightweights with audiences. If you think he'll talk with unknowns, debate him yourself to prove it and then maybe I'll go next. N Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/06
#14172 I thought of a simpler argument. Consider a tiny disc having an area of, say, 0.0001. This tiny disc can include at most one lattice point, no matter how it is translated. But according to MathWorld's statement of Blichfeldt's Theorem, the d Alisa Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/05
Why are mistakes common? Will they always be common? Anonymous Fallibilism 2019/11/05
Error in MathWorld's statement of Blichfeldt's Theorem Alisa Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/05
Slept poorly. Wrote 1200 listing common discussion problems. curi curi's Progress 2019/11/05
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/new-feature-high-precision-mouse-input-gameplay-option/422094 Good explanation of a technical feature. Good use of very short video clips for showing how it works. curi Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/05
https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/2019/10/anatomy-lynching-david-horowitz/ > According to the *Washington Post*, for example, police shootings make up 12% of all white and Hispanic homicide deaths, which is three times the proportion of black deaths Anonymous Politics Discussion 2019/11/05
#14160 Sounds like he wants to talk with/about people with reputations in order to social climb. He seems to focus on lightweights with audiences. If you think he'll talk with unknowns, debate him yourself to prove it and then maybe I'll go next. H curi Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/05
Catalina Update Sucks Anonymous Apple Announcements Commentary 2019/11/05
Feynman story - The power of good methods N Open Discussion (2019) 2019/11/05
Sry for broken quote below > Posted by me on YT: It looked correct in Stackedit but broke here. All below "Posted by me on YT:" should be marked as a quote. N Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/05
#14154 > Also re seeking out criticism and different ideas, has he done rebuttals to Alex Epstein ... I asked potholer54 in the comments on YT if he had any rebuttals of AE. He answered within a couple of hours. He only has a very brief comment N Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/05
#14153 In anon's (#14159) link with Crowder (new timestamp: https://youtu.be/GIDN1dQ92_w?t=431 ) it looks like potholer54 is in favor of written debate as he asks for it (e-mail) when Crowder invites him to a live video debate. See Crowders text in N Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/04
#14153 > Don't know him. Does he have writing? Does he have somewhere people submit questions or criticism? Does he debate? As far as I can see he seems to do most of the debating in either video form on YT or in the comments on YT. But he has do N Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/04
#14158 >i remember steven crowder said on his podcast that he reached out to potholer to debate him after potholer made a video response to steven crowders video: DEBUNKED: Top 5 "Climate Change" Myths. but potholer denied and the reason was something Anonymous Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/04
#14153 i remember steven crowder said on his podcast that he reached out to potholer to debate him after potholer made a video response to steven crowders video: DEBUNKED: Top 5 "Climate Change" Myths. but potholer denied and the reason was something Anonymous Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/04
why ashamed? Anne B Some of Richard Feynman's Wonderfulness 2019/11/04
500 more re conventional life outcomes. 950 re impasse chains being original and the state of the world where something like that wasn't invented yet (IMO it's low hanging fruit, shouldn't be that hard to invent) and what people do in discussions, curi curi's Progress 2019/11/04
Wrote 2000 on rational discussion. Posted some of it: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/fallible-ideas/h6l5mT53VU4/MxQjDOsAAgAJ https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/fallible-ideas/XZiZ6NPwa4A/-ITjR_H_AQAJ Most of what I wrote in those po curi curi's Progress 2019/11/04
#14151 Also re seeking out criticism and different ideas, has he done rebuttals to Alex Epstein or to any other public figures (especially the more serious, intellectual ones, not e.g. republican politicians) on the other side of the debate from him? curi Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/04
#14151 Don't know him. Does he have writing? Does he have somewhere people submit questions or criticism? Does he debate? > He asks for criticism: > > ...instigate discussion, debate, criticize, point out errors so that I can correct them (with curi Productive Global Warming Discussion 2019/11/04

View All Comments